Re: events via Jetty Continuations - ideas?

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 18:58:00 EST

    On 15/11/2006, at 10:07 AM, Tore Halset wrote:

    > I do however have problems seeing how this can be a default
    > mechanism for non-Continuations servlet containers. The client
    > could poll the server, say, every 10 s. The non-Continuations
    > servlet container would have to remember all events for the last 10
    > s and figure out which to send to polling clients. Not very nice.

    Each event can be given a monotonically increasing sequence number.
    Each client then has a reference to the last event number it received
    and sends that in its poll request. The server responds with all
    events greater than that number. Alternatively this could be done
    with a timestamp as long as we always use the server's timestamp as a
    reference point.

    The only problem here is that the server needs to have a reference to
    each connected client and the last event it collected. It would then
    be able to purge from memory all events which have been collected by
    all clients. Otherwise there needs to be a time-to-live for all
    events which causes them to be purged from the server.

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001