Re: FindBugs

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 09:13:31 EST

    On 02/02/2007, at 12:43 AM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    > What would the general consensus be here of using FindBugs
    > (http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/)? I just used the 1.1.1 version to
    > analyze Cayenne 3.0 and it is reporting 1720 (potential) bugs (at
    > least on my current source tree). I haven't used this tool much yet,
    > but it seems like it could be useful. I also believe it has support
    > to run in the background, like from an ant task. This could be useful
    > for nightly builds. Or even like a weekly report of some kind.

     From my experience of it, there are lots of 'bugs' it finds which
    you end up having to ignore. If that was the case, a weekly report
    may not be that helpful since anything useful would be buried in the
    noise. But if the FindBug count count be brought to zero, then a
    weekly script might be more useful. I seem to remember that there are
    lots of ways to configure the rules it runs to quite a fine degree. I
    seem to remember that the style and performance reports it created
    were less useful, but it found some interesting problems in our code
    base.

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001