Re: [CONF] Apache Cayenne: Board Report February 2007 (comment added)

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 18:06:46 EST

    On 20/02/2007, at 1:23 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    >> "The costs of the new web site design were sponsored by a company
    >> (http://www.ish.com.au) which uses Cayenne in its product."
    >
    > -1
    >
    > The new site is *very* nice and we should (and we do) acknowledge
    > ish contribution, still the emphasis is wrong IMO. Consider this -
    > all Cayenne committers and other ASF participants work somewhere. I
    > can say that ObjectStyle LLC. contributes money to Cayenne every
    > month (by me paying salary to myself), but this is sort of implied
    > and is not relevant for the board report purpose. People
    > contributing to Apache are assumed to be acting as individuals and
    > if a company covers the costs of development, it is specifically
    > asked to submit a release form (corporate CLA).
    >
    > The fact that you actually lead the redesign project (as opposed to
    > just covering the costs), is what's worth mentioning.

    OK. Fair enough, the emphasis is wrong. The meaning I wanted to
    convey was:

    "The Cayenne project was able to secure sponsorship toward the work
    done on redesigning the web site from a company which uses Cayenne in
    its product."

    I want to give the Board a sense that there is depth to this project
    beyond the (hard) work of its developers. I think it is a great
    statement to the quality of this project that a company would want to
    support it financially.

    >> "The lack of a clear style guide for Apache project site design
    >> was noted, even as it comes to use of the feather logo. ASF might
    >> consider whether the goal is to have lots of individual looking
    >> projects or impose greater consistency."
    >
    > -1
    >
    > I don't think site design should be a matter of ASF policy. Maybe
    > only in part where it is related to the use of Apache logo, but
    > certainly nothing beyond that.

    How about:

    "The lack of a clear style guide for Apache project site design was
    noted, even as it comes to use of the feather logo. ASF might
    consider clarifying in writing its goal to have many individual
    looking project sites. I would be helpful to know which elements on
    each site are mandatory and should be consistent, such as use of the
    feather logo."

    Ari

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001