more XMLMappingDescriptor woes. :)

From: Robert Zeigler (robert..uregumption.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 19:00:18 EST

    XMLMappingDescriptor chokes on decoding collections for
    CayenneDataObjects.
    Cause:
            1) CayenneDataObject.readProperty returns null (instead of an empty
    list) for collection properties when the ObjectContext of the
    CayenneDataObject is null
            2) XMLMappingDescriptor is using an instanceof operator to determine
    whether a property is a collection or not.

    I consider this more of a problem with the readProperty method of
    CayenneDataObject than an issue with XMLMappingDescriptor. It would
    be nice if readProperty returned an empty list for to-many
    relationships, even when there's no data/object context.

    Thoughts?

    For now, I've skirted the issue by having all of my data objects
    extend a custom superclass, overriding the readProperty, and using a
    bit of reflection to return an empty ToManyList when the returned
    value is supposed to be a collection but the ObjectContext is null.
    It seems to work... but I'm not sure of the repercussions of doing
    this...?

    Robert