Re: Cayenne Classic vs. Cayenne JPA

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 22:30:43 EST

    On 07/03/2007, at 1:31 PM, Randy Leonard wrote:

    > I've read some earlier threads on Cayenne 3.0, and have a few
    > questions:
    >
    > - Is Cayenne 3.0 Classic significantly different from Cayenne 2.x?

    There are some significant new features. Here is the definitive list:

    https://issues.apache.org/cayenne/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
    pid=10000&resolution=1&fixfor=10091

    And another list here with some highlights:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/release-30-new-features.html

    I have been using 3.0 in production for over 6 months now. It is very
    stable and some of its features are things which have been very
    important to us.

    > - Could JPA modelling tools (e.g. Eclipse Dali, etc.) be used in
    > place of Cayenne Modeller?

    I don't believe so, but I'm not familiar with Dali. The Cayenne
    modeller is one of the key advantages to Cayenne. Ultimately you'd
    need to produce cayenne.xml for Cayenne to function.

    > - Are there Cayenne functionalities available to Classic, but not
    > JPA version?

    Absolutely. JPA is an API which forms only a subset of the full
    capabilities of Cayenne.

    > Also, I posted a thread last July concerning multiple models in one
    > application:
    > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cayenne-dev/200607.mbox/%
    > 3cDE5966B5-0FDE-436A-89E2-CE42A9F3CE2..bjectstyle.org%3e
    >
    > Two questions on this:
    > - Curious if Cayenne 3 would support this?
    > - If not, would the custom solution described still apply to
    > Cayenne 3?

    This has been discussed in the last day on the user list. Look for a
    message with the subject "Loading multiple cayenne.xml". These
    questions about the use of Cayenne are probably more appropriate on
    that list.

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001