Re: Summer of Code 2007

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 12:03:29 EDT

    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks for the thoughts! I agree with most of your suggestions on
    improving the process.

    And sorry for the rant that follows your very constructive email :-)

    I've been thinking about it some more, and IMO the problem is at a
    more basic level. SoC is a PR action by Google and participating orgs
    (including ASF), and as such for the student it does not follows ESR
    paradigm of scratching a personal itch.

    I have lots of examples that validate ESR rule. Here is a negative
    one from recent Cayenne history - I had 4 different very qualified
    developers who don't know each other, who at different times
    privately expressed interest in participating in JPA work. I guess
    because they thought it is a cool thing to do? How many actually
    contributed - zero. My explanation is that they don't use JPA, so
    they don't care about JPA. If they did, they would've figured a way
    to contribute.

    And I see a parallel here - students who don't use Cayenne in their
    work (there are students who do use Cayenne) is temp labour paid by
    Google with no interest in the technology or the community. I am sure
    if the opposite was true, current Apache process would've worked just
    fine. In 2006 we had one project that was forced to use the mailing
    list and patches, and another one that wasn't (and one more that was
    half-way in between) - the results all were the same, confirming my
    suspicions.

    I really don't see a way out of this contradiction, therefore I am
    not enthusiastic about mentoring this year.

    Andrus