Re: Summer of Code 2007

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 19:32:18 EDT

    On 29/03/2007, at 2:03 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I've been thinking about it some more, and IMO the problem is at a
    > more basic level. SoC is a PR action by Google and participating
    > orgs (including ASF), and as such for the student it does not
    > follows ESR paradigm of scratching a personal itch.

    It isn't always that way. I hang around the edges of the FreeBSD
    project and they have had some very successful projects:

    http://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode-2006.html

    However, of course they are in a position where they can offer a much
    greater variety of projects (an operating system is a big thing) and
    they have a project which is more well known and therefore students
    come in with greater starting knowledge.

    So I don't think that SoC is purely a cynical marketing exercise - it
    can have good results in the right circumstances. The ideal student
    is one who cares about the project, knows enough to make a
    difference, and is willing to follow through even after they stop
    being paid because they care about what they create. If I found
    students like that, I'd give them a job myself.

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8