Re: Taking over development of DataViews

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 19:31:47 EDT

    On 08/04/2007, at 4:33 AM, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:

    > - I am no big fan of forks. So if there is some solution in which
    > we do
    > not fork the DataViews but officially take over the maintenance off-
    > site
    > or something, I would prefer that. This would also mean we would
    > stay with
    > the name and don't change it to something else.

    I think that keeping your code integrated with Cayenne would be for
    the best. It would make ongoing work easier, ensure that commits to
    other parts of Cayenne take your work into account, integrate with
    junit tests, tie in with Cayenne documentation and give your changes
    the widest audience. You could still do your work in your own svn
    repository until you were ready to merge it if that was easiest for you.

    I certainly would not worry about stepping on anyone's toes.
    DataViews aren't being worked on by anyone right now, and this work
    would be a welcome addition to Cayenne. We develop a three tier Swing
    application ourselves and were thinking about moving some parts of
    the code to DataRows and SQLtemplate for enhanced speed (and
    transferring less data across the network). Although I haven't looked
    deeply into DataViews, they appear to offer some of the same promise
    as this approach - in fact to me they look slightly like a GUI for
    creating SQLtemplates.

    > - Our SOBF Tool is released under the GPL. I would welcome if we could
    > change licence for the source code of the DataViews that is already
    > there,
    > or find some way to dual licence the current version of the DataViews
    > (Apache Licence and LGPL?). Or perhaps there is another solution.
    > This is
    > only a question of making our lives easier than of removing anyones
    > copyright or something.

    If you add GPL/LGPL code to an existing Apache licensed code base,
    then anything you release will be usable only under the more
    restrictive GPL/LGPL license. This means it cannot be merged back
    into Cayenne. If possible, I think the prospect of merging your
    improvements back to Cayenne would be a useful one.

    > - We planned to integrate the DataViews into our own project on
    > SourceForge. But if there are other developers, I think we should
    > start a
    > new project on SourceForge. But I won't start another project if we
    > from
    > SOMAP.org are the only ones working on the DataViews. So please
    > raise your
    > hand if you are interested in helping in the development.

    What would be interesting is if you could clarify what your goals are
    for DataViews. Is it just to get them working against against Cayenne
    3.0 or do you have some specific features you want to add?

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8