Re: Problem with DataFormat and XML Serialise/Deserialise

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 05:50:11 EDT

    Hello Andrus

    > I guess I am going to add some failover strategy that
    > would try a previous formatter in case of parse exceptions..

    Sounds great. I had 2 thoughts about that:

    - Probably this should be "backported" to the stable version as well. IIRC
    decoding/encoding was added somewhen after version 1.1?
    - I was not that sure about how I should solve backwards compatibility
    and since I was in the position to not have to think about old versions...
    Thanks for adding it, looks good to me.

    > On a side note - maybe we can improve encoder/decoder performance by
    > introducing some "context" object that internally stores reusable
    > thread-unsafe objects like formatters, instead of creating them for
    > every field?

    Hmm, should work. But I am not sure if I know much about such concepts. I
    am using the decoding/encoding for quite some special cases (distributable
    snapshot files). Is there a more common use for the decoder/encoder within
    Cayenne?

    Another sidenote: Have you (or anybody else) ever thought about using the
    decoder/encoder plus the XML with the database structure (map.xml) for
    automatic DB update purposes (magically alter table etc)?

    Regards,
    Adrian