Modeling Interfaces [Was: Modelling improvements: inheritance + interfacing (Draft)]

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 05:16:39 EDT

    On May 30, 2007, at 8:04 AM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > I'm not familiar with the embeddable discussion but this is the
    > idea of DbEntity interfaces:
    > a) you have a series of DbEntities that are not inherited in any
    > way but for which you want them to conform to an interface 'A'.
    > They are explicitly tied to that interface (rather than having to
    > synchronise to it). i.e., the attributes/relations appear as they
    > do for inherited characteristics. i.e., they're defined once per
    > model and implemented by various other DbEntities.
    >
    > b) an ObjEntity interface 'a' may optionally map to a DbEntity
    > interface 'b'. Any ObjEntity 'c' that maps to a DbEntity that
    > implements 'b' will be shown to implicitly implement the associated
    > ObjEntity 'a'.
    >
    > c) then there are the ObjEntity interfaces that have no associated
    > DbEntity interface...

    Hi Lachlan,

    What I am concerned about with DbEntity interfaces is that DbEntities
    model database tables and there is no interface concept in DB world.
    So I still don't understand why we need DbEntity inheritance? Could
    you please elaborate or give some examples?

    The only use I can see for it is a *coincidental* match between
    groups of attributes in multiple tables. So is it worth complicating
    the mapping by introducing a concept with no analog in the DB world?
    My suspicion is that it will be very hard to explain to the users.

    Andrus