Re: Abstract Entities [Was: Modelling improvements: inheritance + interfacing (Draft)]

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 08:26:12 EDT

    > IMO, "abstract" is limited to its Java definition, and is of no
    > consequence to the runtime inheritance processing (note that
    > 'resolvingInherited' query property is true by default).

    I was thinking that 'isAbstract' (if true for the parent entity)
    might have the effect of implying that any attempt at setting
    'resolvingInherited' to false for a query would have no effect as it
    would be impossible to fulfil such a requirement in the query.
    Perhaps that's a more tolerant approach(?) than allowing the query to
    proceed but throwing an exception when attempting to instantiate the
    abstract parent. But then again I suppose this would train people
    quickly: 'don't do that!' ;-)

    > So the most important aspect of it is generating a corresponding
    > Java class with an "abstract" keyword, so that Java could throw on
    > any attempts to instantiate it.

    Sure.

    with regards,

    --