Re: What a query result can be [Was: performing count]

From: Michael Gentry (blacknex..mail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 09:32:42 EDT

    What if we put that bit of code in CayenneDataObject as a static method?
    Then you could say something like:

    Number count = Artist.numberOfRecordsInDatabase();

    I suppose it could return an int, too. I always get confused about
    inheritance rules with static methods, though (would it know it was an
    Artist instead of CayenneDataObject so it could look up the appropriate
    table information?). I'd have to go do a little test case. (Strangely, I
    know how it works in Objective-C.)

    Another "interesting" thought is what about inheritance? Could:

    Number count = Manager.numberOfRecordsInDatabase();

    automatically add the inheritance qualifier for the Manager object?

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg