Re: writeNestedProperty?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 11:37:15 EDT

    On Jun 28, 2007, at 6:18 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    > For some reason, I thought CayenneDataObject had a
    > writeNestedProperty() method, but it doesn't seem to. It looks like
    > PropertyUtils has the ability to do this, though (although I might
    > need to patch it). Would it make since to make writing nested paths
    > available in CayenneDataObject, too?

    There was a thread on that some time back. I think there were no
    objections to adding it:

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2006/06/0180.html

    > Also, while I'm thinking of path-type things, would it make since to
    > change readNestedProperty() to handle this case (quoting from the
    > JavaDoc):
    >
    > Read to-many relationship in the middle of the path (throws
    > exception):
    > String name = (String)artist.readNestedProperty
    > ("paintingArray.paintingName");
    >
    > If memory serves, I believe EOF handles this situation by returning an
    > array or list of paintingName values. Then you could do:
    >
    > List names = (List) artist.readNestedProperty
    > ("paintingArray.paintingName");

    I am +1 - that's an important feature. But to be fully consistent, we
    need to make sure it works for POJOs the same way (when filtering in-
    memory with Expressions).

    Andrus