Re: Apache voted no on JPA 2.0 JSR

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 20:48:41 EDT

On 01/08/2007, at 2:29 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> FYI:
>
> As this affects Cayenne, I am posting an update to our dev list.
> JSR-317 is the JSR to develop JPA 2.0. Following a discussion on
> the jcp-open, ASF voted "NO" on the JSR-317 review:
>
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=4329
>
> It is unclear at this point what our prospects are on getting
> access to the JSR-317 certification (it should not affect JSR-220
> work we are currently doing), but regardless of that I personally
> support nudging Sun to really open Java Community Process.

It is very interesting to see Intel, IBM and Redhat strongly
supporting Apache's position on this. Excellent.

Even though Apache voted no, this JSR will go forward. What is the
Apache position on being part of the expert group? (By the way, is
Apache/OpenJPA/Cayenne PMC/Cayenne committers/Andrus on the expert
group? Is it a per person thing or an organisation thing?) I
understand and agree with Apache's position on the openness of the
TCK, however it appears that JSR-317 will have an open TCK and there
should be no licensing reason not to use it.

It is one thing to make a stand, but this might become an important
JSR to implement in the future, so we can't ignore it.

Ari Maniatis

Aristedes Maniatis
phone +61 2 9660 9700
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8