Re: [DISCUSSION] Java 5 and 3.0 schedule

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2007 - 16:35:55 EDT

    This discussion has been open for about a month now without much more
    progress. While I can appreciate everyone being busy, myself included, it'd
    probably be best if we could push this issue to close one way or the other.

    My personal belief is that using Java 5 constructs won't slow development
    down. For me, I'd suspect it'd even help contribute code, since my head has
    been firmly in Java 5 codebases (i.e., I have to take a step back and think
    in 1.4 terms even when just using API classes).

    The biggest potential issue I see is if a bug fix needs to be backported.
    When I've had to do such though, I've started with the 2.0 codebase and
    ported it to 3.0, rather than the other way around. So, I don't personally
    find it to be that big of a deal, but it will obviously vary per developer
    style.

    Once we've generally agreed that discussion has ceased, I'd like to return
    to the vote. That's been open for over a month now, without a real -1, so
    it's probably a formality. But, I would like there to be a general
    consensus on matters.

    --
    Kevin