Re: Support for SQLite?

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 06:33:56 EDT

    On 09/10/2007, at 7:56 PM, Toni Lamar wrote:

    > Yes, for personal use :). I see allot of marketing around Derby
    > (and I'm
    > aware that's in the JDK now), but
    > I have yet to see a single use in a commercial project (I mean
    > projects that
    > I can work on :) ).

    Derby is really quite nice. I've been using it for a couple of years
    now with no issues. Very stable and the speed is very good.

    Lots of people use it, either as Cloudscape (the IBM offering of the
    same product) or Derby (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby).
    It is certainly a bit more sophisticated and featured than SQLite,
    and particularly good for embedding in your application if you are
    writing in Java. I guess it depends on what you are wanting to use it
    for.

    Andrus, if HSQLDB is a pain, then Derby might be an option. Easy to
    embed, although the jar is 2.2Mb which is a bit large. At some point
    when Java 6 becomes the minimum requirement for Cayenne Modeler that
    could go away.

    Toni, if you want to have a go at throwing together an SQLite driver,
    there are some instructions to get you started here:

    http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/custom-dbadapter.html

    Ari

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8