Re: Cayenne Cluster

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 08:57:25 EDT

    There are two clustering options, both implemented as extension
    points to plug some outside clustering mechanism. We've never done
    any attempts to implement distributed locking, so asynchronous
    notifications are the default mode of operation. (Not sure what it
    would take to add explicit locking, but theoretically that's a
    possibility).

    Option 1: (the one that you've mentioned) Snapshot synchronization.
    Each DataDomain in each JVM would broadcast the diffs of the
    committed objects. That's a universal mechanism to refresh individual
    DataObjects. It also rather brute force, and can generate lots of
    network traffic and unneeded app activity.

    Option 2: (requires Cayenne 3.0) Query cache synchronization. It was
    first mentioned here - [1] and the early attempts at documenting it
    can be found here - [2]. It allows to refresh groups of objects (more
    specifically cached query results), not just individual objects. I
    don't know whether I can generalize my experience with it, but it
    worked extremely well in an environment with a CMS that updates the
    data and multiple read-only applications that serve this data on a
    high volume public site. Via a "cache group" mechanism you can tweak
    what exactly is refreshed on each commit.

    I can elaborate some more if you describe the usage patterns that you
    envision, and what kind of clustering features you are looking for
    (session replication? cache refresh? anything else?)

    Andrus

    [1] http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2006/09/0133.html
    [2] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/caching-and-fresh-data.html