Re: Reconciling DataContexts

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 07:57:56 EDT

    The problem with localObject is that it does not traverse the whole graph,
    making it practically useless in all but the most trivial situations.
    Manually copying over the graph is doable, but a lot of work for something
    that really should be far easier.

    For example, we have customers and orders. All orders are associated with
    customers. We keep the customer info and order info in two different
    contexts for the most part, because we don't want to prematurely commit an
    order while a customer may feel it necessary to change his shipping address,
    for example.

    What we've resorted to doing is committing the customer data, then doing a
    requery based on the ObjectID using the order context. This allows us to
    get a fully populated object. Of course, this means more trips to the DB
    and a lot of committing/refetching code. It works, but it hardly makes
    Cayenne transparent.

    The whole thing becomes fragile, and there's a lot that Cayenne could do to
    help out. I suppose the problem is exacerbated by the null context problem.
    If we fix that, we'd likely be in much better shape. As it stands, with our
    Tapestry app, we have to stage the objects at page render time to allow the
    association of different objects. That creates for a lot of headaches as
    well, and a lot of context management that really isn't necessary.

    --
    Kevin