Re: [JIRA] Commented: (CAY-906) CM Usability: Use AppFramework - JSR-296 - to simplify the code

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 14:02:12 EDT

    On Oct 26, 2007, at 8:50 PM, Thomas Bernhard wrote:

    >> Well, until then it is most definitely a problem.
    >>
    > Well, I don't understand why Apache is so picky about this entire LGPL
    > thing, considering that in most cases such libraries will be only
    > used, not
    > changed.

    We are an Apache project so we do follow the licensing policy of the
    Foundation.

    At the high level, the goal of this policy is rather simple - to only
    distribute software that is compatible with a certain "BSD'ish" open
    source license style. Why any given license is deemed compatible or
    not is a separate story, and I'd rather avoid arguing about it here
    (there is a legal-discuss list where that would be more appropriate).

    > And if even SUN (or others that use this library) don't care:here's
    > a quote from the AppFramework list:

    They don't care because they own the code all the way and only they
    can change the license. This is the difference between Sun and us in
    this case.

    I do regret that we can't use this framework until Java 7 (from the
    first glance it seems nice), but well... we can't.

    Andrus