Cleaning up ROP

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 12:20:28 EDT

    Hi all,

    I've just gone back to work on a ROP application I have and am again running
    into the issue of having to duplicate code between the server model
    subclasses and the client model subclasses. I've got a way of working
    around that, but I'm thinking this is probably best handled by Cayenne. In
    particular, I really don't think that there should be two class hierarchies
    for what amounts to a boolean field (remote/not remote).

    I think the generated superclass should perform the duty of calling the
    appropriate method for reading and writing properties. I think this would
    advocate adding an isRemote() method to the ObjectContext interface to avoid
    having to do instanceof operations.

    There would have to be some sort of unification between PersistentObject and
    CayenneDataObject as well. My naïve guess is that the latter could extend
    the former, but I haven't investigated whether or not they are compatible.

    Does this sound like a reasonable approach? If so, I'll probably dig in on
    that.

    Thanks,
    Kevin