Re: AppFramework licensing discussion

From: Michael Gentry (blacknex..mail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 13:37:25 EDT

    OK, I'm not a lawyer, but ... :-)

    LGPL (but not GPL) code can be included (or linked at compile time) in
    commercial code and it doesn't open-source the commercial code. To
    quote from the GNU itself:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

    "The GNU Project has two principal licenses to use for libraries. One
    is the GNU Lesser GPL; the other is the ordinary GNU GPL. The choice
    of license makes a big difference: using the Lesser GPL permits use of
    the library in proprietary programs; using the ordinary GPL for a
    library makes it available only for free programs."

    This is why the GNU C library is LGPL:

    "This is why we used the Lesser GPL for the GNU C library. After all,
    there are plenty of other C libraries; using the GPL for ours would
    have driven proprietary software developers to use another—no problem
    for them, only for us."

    A commercial/proprietary application can be compiled with GCC and
    linked with the GNU C library and still be proprietary.

    That being said, I don't know the official Apache stance on the matter
    at the moment. However, even if Cayenne Modeler were proprietary and
    used LGPL code, that would not change the proprietary nature of the
    application. Of course, CM is not proprietary and I can't imagine how
    utilizing a library or another tool that is LPGL would change the ASF
    licensing of CM since LPGL doesn't change the licensing of proprietary
    software. I do believe the LPGL wants it to be known that the
    application (CM in this case) utilizes LPGL software and maybe that is
    the issue ASF would have? Perhaps I'm missing something, though.

    From the GPL FAQ:

    If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
    that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
        Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.

    (note that it is mentioning GPL vs LGPL there)

    and:

    How does the LGPL work with Java?
        See http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl-java.html for
    details. It works as designed, intended, and expected.

    /dev/mrg