XMLSerializable

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2007 - 22:09:21 EDT

    There are two XMLSerializable interfaces. One in
    org.apache.cayenne.util and one in org.apache.cayenne.xml.

    They are very similar but the xml package one includes decodeFromXML
    (XMLDecoder). CayenneDataObject is the only class which implements
    decodeFromXML(XMLDecoder).

    On the other hand classes which implement the util version of the
    package instead use MapLoader to perform the decoding from XML in the
    form of a SAX parser.

    * can we rename these interfaces so they are more different (I think
    one is a SAX decoder and the other DOM), or

    * can CayenneMapEntry be somehow merged with XMLSerializable. They
    apply to different classes now but I'm not sure why. (doesn't
    everything in the map need to be XML serializable and everything
    which is serializable is in the map?), or

    * should we merge the two XMLSerializable interfaces and make
    decodeFromXML a noop where is it not used

    Ideally I'd have thought decodeFromXML() and encodeFromXML() are
    always nice symmetric pairs but I'm thinking this would require a
    change from using a SAX parser in MapLoader to using a DOM parser.

    I'm just trying to understand this code as I navigate through it
    working on some other things.

    Ari

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001