Re: DataViews - Proposal - move to sourceforge!

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 15:42:32 EST

    On 11/4/07, Demetrios Kyriakis <demetrios.kyriaki..ooglemail.com> wrote:
    > if you want a tool
    > or GUI use LGLP, if you want
    > a general library than use BSD or Apache". I got no explanation why is that
    > so (beyond "lawyers found this as the best combination"), but it seems that
    > developers apply it :).

    My opinion: because people doing commercial work rarely extend a GUI
    or tool, but people doing commercial work use libraries all the time.
     LGPL's viral nature is rarely conducive to commercial work, where the
    companies you are working for will not give away for free the
    application that they paid you to write just because you use a viral
    library. Most companies have no issues giving away common library
    code, but they're not going to give away the applications that they
    pay their programmers to build on top of that library code.

    > #4 - on SF unlike Apache.org most people spend no time on licensing
    > discussions (nor really do they care)

    SF projects, unlike Apache.org projects, disregard licensing
    restrictions because following the licensing rules is rarely fun.
    While you and others have opinions on what LGPL means when applied to
    java code linkage, you have no legal basis for holding such an
    opinion. ASF, on the other hand, employs attorneys who do have the
    legal basis for determining what the LGPL java linkage licenses mean
    and who have discussed the matter with FSF attorneys. Since ASF can
    legally be held responsible for breaking such a license, ASF takes
    licensing quite seriously. ASF has financial assets. It's
    unlikely that YourGUIToolApp developers have any assets worth
    pursuing. But if your YourGUIToolApp ever becomes valuable enough,
    then it might be a different story.

    Note that I am not an attorney. Nor do I have anything other than
    opinions (without legal basis) on the subject of licenses. If you
    want to discuss it with people who do, use the talk-legal mailing list
    at apache. You and I can debate it, but it won't accomplish anything.
      All we can say is that we follow the Apache rules at Apache Cayenne,
    and give you pointers to what those rules are. There's nothing
    useful accomplished by talking about how you wish the rules were
    different on our mailing lists -- use the legal mailing lists.