Re: Cleaning up ROP

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2007 - 01:07:41 EST

    I just spent the better part of this evening trying to get something going.
    Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the moment and it's getting pretty late (or
    early) here. So, I'm just posting what I tried and what my results were.
    If anyone else wants to suggest something, great, if not, I'll prod at it
    more when I can get some time. I'll likely have to defer it and come up
    with some workaround, because I need this portion of the app relying on the
    fix done.

    Anyway . . .

    I took a really naïve approach to start because I just wanted to get
    something going.

    * Made CayenneDataObject extends PersistentObject
    ** Removed any code duplication

    * Updated my data map to use the same class name for the server and client
    classes for all obj entities.

    * Modified the velocity template to combine both server and client class
    info:

    * Static property name fields appear as before
    * All client fields appear
    * All methods perform an instanceof check on the context to choose the
    appropriate code to call like so:

    public BillingInfo getDefaultBillingInfo() {
            if (objectContext instanceof CayenneContext) {
                if(objectContext != null) {
                    objectContext.prepareForAccess(this, "defaultBillingInfo",
    true);
                }

                return (BillingInfo) defaultBillingInfo.getValue();
            }
            else {
                return (BillingInfo)readProperty("defaultBillingInfo");
            }
        }

    Problems:

    * Retrieving data from client fails during deep merge on toMany
    relationships. The read property is null causing most of the rest of the
    method to fail.

    * Adding NPE checks for the above gets me to a workable state, but the
    generated class does not work as expected. In particular, all the values
    are in the map (like they should for a server) and all the fields are blank
    (which should not be the case for the client).

    My initial thoughts were that the failures were due to the above code
    snippet failing to do the right thing if the context is null (is there a
    better way to tell if we're executing on the client?). But, the first
    failure occurs well before any of those accessors are called. So, I am a
    bit at a loss.

    Anyway, if Ari or someone else wants to help out with this, I'd certainly
    welcome it.

    --
    Kevin