Re: [JIRA] Commented: (CAY-922) Convert non-type-safe enums to Java 5 enums

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 12:05:25 EST

    While we could use enums internally and preserve the int based API for
    client use, it seems to be of dubious value. We could deprecate it now I
    suppose, but introducing a new alternative to PersistenceState, that encodes
    the same info, just in a nicer manner, doesn't appear to gain us much. This
    strikes me as needing to be all-or-nothing to me.

    I also think it's something that's going to have to be dealt with sooner or
    later and is going to invariably break things for people somewhere. I'm
    personally of the mindset that if I'm going to upgrade my code for 3.0, I
    may as well do it all at once.

    FWIW, the change to performQuery to return List<?> broke more of my code
    than the enum changes would. I don't know how representative that is,
    however.

    On 11/27/07 4:53 AM, "Andrus Adamchik" <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:

    > I think converting PersistenceState to enum would result in a too
    > serious breakage of backwards compatibility, so I am not so sure we
    > should be changing this now. Maybe in 3.0 we just start by deprecating
    > the "int" based API, and introducing enum based alternative without
    > removing the old methods or changing the ivars?

    Kevin Menard
    Servprise International, Inc.
    Remote reboot & power control for network equipment
    www.servprise.com              +1 508.892.3823 x308