Re: [JIRA] Commented: (CAY-922) Convert non-type-safe enums to Java 5 enums

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 12:20:00 EST

    On Nov 27, 2007, at 7:05 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    > While we could use enums internally and preserve the int based API for
    > client use, it seems to be of dubious value. We could deprecate it
    > now I
    > suppose, but introducing a new alternative to PersistenceState, that
    > encodes
    > the same info, just in a nicer manner, doesn't appear to gain us much.

    It gives the users more time (maybe a year, maybe more) to migrate
    their code and a clear indication of what will be changed.

    > FWIW, the change to performQuery to return List<?> broke more of my
    > code
    > than the enum changes would.

    That's a good one... Impact of generics conversion on backwards
    compatibility is not fully clear to me just yet. There is a
    possibility that we may need to undo some of what we've done with it.

    Andrus