Outer joins: CAY-929

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 13:28:41 EST

    This is regarding Mike Kienenberger's comment from December 3 on
    CAY-929:

    "This is really a duplicate of CAY-560. There's selectTranslator
    support in there already for left (outer) joins. It's just a matter of
    eventually merging that code into 3.0 and, like you said, deciding how
    it fits into the grand plan of EJBQL."

    Mike,

    CAY-560 was sitting in the queue for a while, maybe cause it is too
    loaded... I was reviewing our options recently (now that EJBQL
    translator is in place), and figured it probably won't make sense (to
    convert SelectQuery to an EJBQL query internally on the short run
    anyways ... maybe we'll do it in 3.1 or something) . It would look
    approximately like this:

    SelectQuery -> EJBQLQuery -> SQLTemplate -> SQL

    The chain is too long.... So while EJBQLQuery is a good choice if you
    need expressions with outer joins, SelectTranslator will still benefit
    from outer join support in a number of cases that Ari described in
    Jira, where Cayenne can make an implicit decision about join semantics.

    Anton Sakalouski of ObjectStyle (you may remember him - he developed a
    PDF docs generator for Cayenne many years ago, although he hasn't been
    active in the community) was looking to implement a patch for
    SelectTranslator per CAY-929. So if you decide to go ahead with
    CAY-560, you'll have fewer things to port ;-)

    Andrus