Re: Interoperability with ExtJS

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 06:23:05 EST

    On Jan 21, 2008, at 3:25 AM, Joe Baldwin wrote:

    > I am interested in your idea. The downside is that, while I am
    > motivated, I am not familiar with your code and would have to rely
    > on you for coaching in order to conform to your team's design goals.

    That much we can guarantee :-)

    > I have been looking at some use cases (implemented with totally
    > different utilities): Navicat & OpenOffice. Both can connect with a
    > database, execute bi-directional data transfer, and present the data
    > in a spreadsheet format. The (*big*) downside is that you lose the
    > security features of the 3-tier design (i.e. you can totally destroy
    > your database integrity if your user make mistakes.) Still, the
    > UPDATE solutions are interesting: Navicat allows multiple edits and
    > with multiple rows without updating, then with a single user
    > command, it updates all the changes at once. OpenOffice, however,
    > makes each change as soon as you move your cursor to a new cell.
    > Both work well, the Navicat design seems more efficient.

    I think ExtJS also goes with a single commit of multiple changes -
    something that we certainly want.

    > I would love to just get one entity represented by one grid working
    > for right now. If you want me to help out with code, then please
    > let me know if you think this is a worthwhile goal, the scope, the
    > the amount of time.

    I think it is. A few things to note:

    * Let's move further discussion to de..ayenne.apache.org, as backend
    design threads tend to be long and boring for most end users, even if
    they are interested in the final product.
    * My brain hurts because of the number of choices in the JS world, and
    we'd like to keep our design as portable as possible... But we have to
    start somewhere, and from what I've seen so far, DWR remoting seems
    like a good starting point, so let's maybe concentrate on that for now.

    Andrus