JDBC 4 and build sanity

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 19:00:51 EDT

    To go ahead with JDBC 4 implementation (even as an optional module)
    and keep a sane build system at the same time, logically we should
    switch the build system to Java 1.6. It can still produce the code
    compatible with Java 1.5, but the development environment will have to
    be 1.6.

    This will exclude 32-bit Mac owners from the dev process (I do have 1
    such laptop in my company, Ari probably has a few, etc...). So how do
    we make it build on 1.5 (everything except for the 1.6 module of
    course). Here is one idea: a developer may extract the new JDBC 4
    interfaces from Java 1.6 (we can provide a little script to do that),
    and build a small extension jar and drop it in the lib/ext of JDK 1.5.
    That and also we will publish 1.6 snapshots for downstream dependents
    (such as cayenne-server and cayenne-client).

    Thoughts on that? Maybe there are better ideas (and I may need to vet
    this little hack with Apache legal).

    Thanks,
    Andrus