Re: Cayenne-trunk - Build # 239 - Failure

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..mail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 20:58:39 EDT

    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar..sh.com.au> wrote:

    > On the downside it makes the development process much less linear and more
    > prone to merge issues since there is no longer a clear concept of the one
    > true trunk.

    My experience has been quite the opposite. git merges much better
    than svn does and because it's so easy to merge, it gets done much
    more frequently, heading off a lot of conflicts. In our case, we
    still have a single authoritative copy that everyone pushes to. This
    is a much nicer environment that svnmerge.py. NB: I have not tried
    svn 1.5's new merge facilities as I had jumped ship by then.

    > github is very interesting.
    >
    > Have you seen the messages on infra with the guy who has made a git mirror
    > of many of the Apache projects? I think he is looking to keep them fairly
    > tightly synchronised to svn.

    Nay. I'd be quite interested in it, though. Even though I have SVN
    commit privs on two projects, git could be nice for local hacking at
    the very least.

    --
    Kevin