Re: Jira changes

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2008 - 04:07:19 EST

    On Nov 9, 2008, at 12:21 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > And also CAYDOC12 and CAYDOC20 for the older documentation (which
    > are largely abandoned). For the future I'm in favour of putting
    > inline notes in the docs to state: 'this feature available from 4.0'
    > rather than trying to maintain a 3.0 branch.

    Inline notes on when a given feature got introduced are fine, still
    they do not solve the problem we are trying to solve with doc branches
    - giving end users a precise view of the documentation matching an SVN
    code branch, and giving developers the freedom to change and rearrange
    the docs on "trunk" (i.e. CAYDOC).

    So as long as we support a release and feature docs for such release
    on a web site, we need a Confluence docs branch for it. Otherwise
    things will become a mess quickly.

    One example of mixing releases in a single document gone wrong was
    MySQL 3-4 years ago. They got away from it now in favor of per major
    version docs.

    Andrus