Re: Nested context on ROP proposal

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2008 - 07:38:46 EST

    On 11/11/2008, at 11:12 PM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

    > Are you suggesting developers to keep same validation on client &
    > server in
    > this case? Well, this means that we prefer first solution - to do
    > nothing
    > :-) Actually I can think of situations when special server
    > validation is
    > needed - e.g. when it takes long time and will be much longer via ROP.

    Absolutely we need to be able to keep them separate. Sometimes. But
    because client and server entity classes aren't in the same
    inheritance tree, it is really hard to share the 90% of validation
    code which is identical.

    In our application, we validate on each keystroke, allowing us to
    enable/disable the save button and implement nice GUI warnings.
    Obviously this needs to be really fast on the client. And so there is
    more validation on the server which does not exist on the client. But
    we've been bitten sometimes by not keeping the two in sync where they
    should be.

    > Still, I agree and think we should leave this as 'known limitation'.
    > In fact, beside this problem, I've already implemented nested
    > contexts and
    > hopefully will commit after M5 is released.

    Terrific! I can definitely say we'll be able to give it a solid
    workout here.

    Andrey, you might like to add the special limitations to be aware of
    on this page and a note about it being available in M6:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAYDOC/Nested+DataContexts

    I know it is slightly premature, but I'm very excited :-)

    Ari

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001