Re: CAY-1077

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..mail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 13:35:22 EST

    Comments are in-line.

    On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > Cool. I very much like the direction. Here is a few notes on the
    > implementation:
    >
    > 1. I think "revert" and "clear" are redundant. They don't revert previous
    > "save", but simply go back in the browser. It is just as easy to use the
    > browser to achieve that. So I suggest we remove those buttons.

    Are you seeing something different than me? If I modify an existing
    relationship, revert takes me back to that mapped relationship. Clear
    removes all selection.

    > 2. "Save Path" should probably be called "Select", as we are not really
    > saving anything until "Done" is clicked. Also since we only have 1 button
    > now, maybe to make things more compact and consistent with other similar
    > interfaces, implement it as a toolbar on top of the browser (see Select
    > Query Ordering tab for an example).

    +1.

    > 3. DbRelationships. There's a bit of a problem figuring context of the new
    > relationship. It correctly uses a target of the currently selected
    > DbRelationship path as its source, however its location is disjoint from the
    > browser so it is not immediately clear. It also clutters the view a bit. So
    > maybe we can add an extra dialog started with a "new relationship" button
    > icon on the browser toolbar (see #2 - we will have a toolbar), that allows
    > you to select target entity, cardinality (to-one, to-many) and continue to
    > the joins mapping?

    +1. The UI is a bit overloaded at the moment. Another option may be
    to implement the dialog as a frame with tab panes.

    I'm still not a super huge fan of the constant expansion, but I think
    the improvements made are making it less of an issue.

    I'd also like to see a bit more culling. Right now 1-1 are culled.
    We could also cull 1 - m, m - 1, since the 1 is the same in each case.
     I think that would cut down on confusion a bit more.

    --
    Kevin