Re: Pre-insert callback?

From: Michael Gentry (mgentr..asslight.net)
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 10:17:01 EDT

    I really haven't looked at the JPA stuff too much. Is the prePersist
    firing on newObject() intended to initialize the object? If new
    callbacks were introduced, that would certainly be an incompatible
    change with the JPA specification, then. If you implemented something
    in Cayenne and then had to drop it into a different implementation, it
    wouldn't work. (Unless JPA wasn't intended to work that way in the
    first place.) What is the real motivation for JPA compliance?
    (Marketing/promotion/adoption purposes, etc?)

    As for Tapestry ... they have had a long history of not being backward
    compatible. It is actually a huge point of concern where I'm at where
    they have Tapestry 4.0.x and 4.1.x applications (and 4.1 isn't even
    compatible with 4.0), plus a ton of WebObjects. The question here is
    where to go next. Tapestry 5 or JSF (a "standard") or something else.
     In some ways the Tapestry turmoil hurts adoption of Tapestry and
    continuing use where Tapestry is already being used. I'm not saying
    good and meaningful changes, even if incompatible, shouldn't be made,
    but it always has an impact which should be considered.

    OK, sorry for rambling ... back to work. :-)

     mrg