Re: Pre-insert callback?

From: Bob Schellink (sabob..mail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 13:55:33 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > I agree, it doesn't technically prevent us from adding more... What I
    > feel bad about is the design falling apart. We already have
    > validateFor..., JPA callbacks, and now we'll have a third kind :-/ This
    > turns Cayenne into Perl... Almost envy the Tapestry people for pulling
    > the plug on backwards compatibility in the sake of consistency of the
    > user-facing components.

    My 2c is that as long as there is an upgrade path, breaking backwards
    compatibility should be acceptable. Its certainly not ideal but if the
    pros outweigh the cons, why not.

    I think the problem comes when the product diverges too far from
    previous versions that upgrading becomes impossible.

    kind regards

    bob