Re: How manay milestones before 3.0 final?

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 04:42:29 EDT

    On 30/03/2009, at 7:21 PM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

    > I would very much like M6 to be released as fast as possible, I
    > think enough
    > time has passed and work done since M5.

    Great. Then the main thing to do in the leadup to M6 is to look at the
    list of tasks assigned to that milestone [1].

    Three Andrus, one Kevin and one me. Everyone, please add more tasks
    you are planning to work on in the next fortnight to M6 or remove
    anything from M6 which is unlikely to happen. Then we'll have a clear
    goal.

    Are there any show stoppers from Cayenne users which need to be looked
    at for M6? Should we ask on the user list or will they just tell us we
    need a graphical UML-like modeler? :-)

    > As for beta - well, I'd like to
    > solve some issues that seem important to me (and probably do some
    > work with
    > ROP&Classic) but I'll be busy until summer at least. So autumn seems
    > realistic date for 3.0

    Sure, but just because we release 3.0 doesn't mean they can't go into
    3.1. I think mostly we should be concerned by those things that are
    likely to change existing APIs (particularly those in 3.0 that aren't
    in 2.x). Are your plans of that nature?

    There is always a choice between a feature-based release deadline
    (that is, we release when we have implemented certain features) and a
    date-based one (we stop on a certain date). At least with the latter,
    we don't get feature creep stretching on forever.

    Ari

    [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=12310903&fixfor=12313759&resolution=-1

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001