Re: build failure

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 19:21:17 EDT

    Not wanting to prolong this thread... but:

    On 06/05/2009, at 7:25 PM, Adrian A. wrote:

    >> Please stop with the maven bashing in every message.
    > It's not bashing - it's simply the sad reality.

    The reality seems more like - "You're unfamiliar with maven". So it's
    understandable that whilst you remain unfamiliar with maven you'll
    feel like you can't do anything useful with it. But there's nothing
    stopping you from reading up on it.

    Sure there's a bit of a learning curve to begin with - but a little
    reading goes a long way. I started with it (from scratch) at the
    beginning of last year and sure there's stuff that I don't know but
    google usually turns up an answer quite quickly whenever I need more.

    > Evey time I try to do something for Cayenne(or another mavenized
    > project), I end up spending uselessly hours with maven problems
    > instead of contributing with something useful :(.

    Join the maven mailing list and ask questions instead of stabbing in
    the dark or complaining it's all too hard. Or ask others who know.

    > Others already gave up: whey they see that a project has only maven,
    > they don't even try to contribute anymore :(.

    Giving up just because you don't understand something yet is sad.

    >> Like all things, there are pros and cons.
    > You are right, except that some "cons" are simply K.O., and the
    > result is that they exclude most users from contributing :(.

    Contributing what?
    If you're a developer .. you can learn new stuff rather than insisting
    that every project uses the only build technology you're familiar with.

    >> At the end of the day, we're not moving from maven to ant. So, the
    >> best we
    >> can do is try to make things work as smoothly with maven as we
    >> can. Up
    >> until now, you haven't provided any output that would help in
    >> debugging the
    >> issue.
    > IntelliJ has a nice ANT language level debugger. Unfortunately
    > there's none for maven :(.

    You do know that you can very easily integrate ant tasks with maven
    right? If there's no maven equivalent - which would surprise me - then
    define an ant task within maven.

    Where there's a will there's a way...

    with regards,

    --