aiming for a beta

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 19:34:59 EDT

    Now that M6 is out the door, I would like to raise the idea that the
    next release is a beta and not another milestone.

    What this means:

    * after that release the API is locked down, and
    * no new features are added

    Why this might be good:

    * it is an important step toward a final 3.0 release
    * it tells the wider community they should start testing their apps
    without fear of refactoring due to API changes
    * it will flush out some stoic 2.0.4 users and get them thinking about
    upgrading, and giving us bug reports

    Given the previous release gaps, I'd expect a beta 1 release in about
    October. If that is too soon, then we should have a M7 before that time.

    I don't think we need a formal vote, and I've already named the next
    Cayenne milestone 'beta 1' in Jira. Are there any objections to this
    approach?

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001