Re: sourceforge

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 19:22:52 EDT

> I only control the Cayenne project on SF:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cayenne/
>
> The project description says "Currently Cayenne is developed at the
> Apache Software Foundation (http://cayenne.apache.org)". The website
> points to Apache. It shouldn't be closed, as it is the place where
> the users can get old versions of Cayenne (including currently
> supported v. 1.2.x).
>
> So the current dormant state of the old hosting location seems
> appropriate to me. Do you have any other suggestions about it?

While I was updating various sites with the new release (wikipaedia,
ohloh, freshmeat, etc) I came across sourceforge and thought it looked
a bit confusing. Things like the "Last Update: Oct 12 2007" in the big
green box make it look abandoned.

Some little things might help:

* add a news item saying "Cayenne project moved to cayenne.apache.org"
since the news is very prominent
* remove the big green download box (if possible)
* put "this project has moved" more prominently in the summary

I don't maintain anything in Sourceforge so I don't know what options
are available.

Ari

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001