Re: SEO for cayenne.apache.org

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 11:46:36 EDT

    On 11/08/09 1:20 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html
    >

    > I wish we could use something like that to link matching pages between
    > the docs versions to get consistent hits for the documentation searches?
    > Currently it is rather hard to find a relevant docs page via Google, and
    > the version of the docs it serves is random. Wonder if we could script
    > the template for the DOC* spaces with something like:
    >
    > <link rel="canonical" href="http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/$pageName.htm" />
    >
    > This would also solve the problem of google hits against
    > cwiki.apache.org. E.g.:
    >
    > http://cwiki.apache.org/CAYDOC/documentation.html

    Or more easily, we could ask Infra to mark our cwiki pages as not to be indexed in robots.txt.

    The other thing we can easily do is add a specific Google search to our docs page. We'd need a separate template per doc version so we can limit the search to that version. Something like the search here:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

    Ari

    Aristedes Maniatis