Beta 1 ?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 07:13:02 EDT

    I suggest that we consider wrapping up the current release cycle,
    release 3.0B1 and go into a runtime new feature freeze associated with
    the Beta part of the cycle.

    We had a burst of new development activity in the past couple of
    weeks, which is awesome, and I don't want to get in its way with the
    feature freeze, but let's see what issues we have left, and see which
    ones are actually being worked on:

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310903&created%3Aprevious=-3w&status=1&status=3&sorter/field=created&sorter/order=DESC

    CAY-1282: I think this is close to completion by Evgeny, and is a very
    nice addition that I'd love to see in Cayenne.
    CAY-1287: IMO the only thing that is needed there is docs improvement,
    so not a subject to code freeze.
    CAY-1283: In progress (or is it finished?)
    CAY-1280: An idea of overrides for SQLTemplates. I think Evgeny is
    also planning to work on it in the near term.
    CAY-1284, CAY-1288: Not sure if Michael plans an immediate action on
    those?

    So unless Michael and Evgeny ask for more time to finish CAY-1280,
    CAY-1284, CAY-1288, I suggest that we have a preliminary B1 tag date
    set to 2 weeks from now - October 22. By then we'll see how we are
    doing with the remaining tasks, and make a decision.

    Finally, I think Beta should go into a stable branch, and then trunk
    can be immediately open for 3.1 commits without affecting the Beta.
    But then of course we need to keep trunk in sync with Beta bug fixes
    and Modeler changes, which IMO not a big deal, just something to keep
    in mind.

    Andrus