Re: [VOTE] Apache Cayenne release 3.0B1

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 18:59:27 EDT

    On 29/10/09 1:18 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > The version update was needed to remap renamed callbacks. So if you
    > upgrade a schema with "prePersist" callback, you'll see more changes.

    Ah, I wasn't paying attention. I remember now. I better regenerate our schema docs for the web site.

    > I mentioned this on the list before - since there's generally no direct
    > correspondence between Cayenne runtime version and project schema
    > version, I figured I'd come up with some numbering scheme that can't be
    > mistaken for a Cayenne runtime version. So 3.0.0.1 is pretty random
    > based on the fact that we may have 3.0.1 Cayenne release, but
    > not a 3.0.0.1.

    Yes, but this is a bit confusing. If we need an internal number which increments so that we know how to upgrade the schema, right through the development process, then it should be internal and not exposed to the user. I'd suggest a simple incrementing integer which doesn't look at all like the Cayenne version. Let's start at (say) 100 and go from there.

    The real problem is that the Modeler tells you that the model is being upgraded to "version 3.0.0.1". Which means nothing to the user. Let's just tell the user that the model was updated and leave it at that.

       This model you opened was previously saved with an older version of Cayenne Modeler and has now been upgraded. You should verify the changes and, if necessary, regenerate your Java class files.

    Ideally this message would only appear if some change was actually made to the model.

    Ari

    --

    --------------------------> Aristedes Maniatis GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C 5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A