Re: [VOTE] Apache Cayenne release 3.0B1

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 03:19:11 EDT

    > The real problem is that the Modeler tells you that the model is
    > being upgraded to "version 3.0.0.1". Which means nothing to the
    > user. Let's just tell the user that the model was updated and leave
    > it at that.
    >
    > This model you opened was previously saved with an older version of
    > Cayenne Modeler and has now been upgraded. You should verify the
    > changes and, if necessary, regenerate your Java class files.

    Agreed, we should change the message to hide the dummy version number.
    I guess we can make this change during the Beta.

    > If we need an internal number which increments so that we know how
    > to upgrade the schema, right through the development process, then
    > it should be internal and not exposed to the user. I'd suggest a
    > simple incrementing integer which doesn't look at all like the
    > Cayenne version. Let's start at (say) 100 and go from there.

    Agreed. Maybe let's implement this approach the next time we need to
    bump the schema.

    > Ideally this message would only appear if some change was actually
    > made to the model.

    I sort of wanted it to be very explicit and preempt any attempts to
    work on the model. I guess we can use some mixed approach - show a
    warning on opening the project, but avoid saving the new version right
    away. Just put the project in a dirty state, upgrade it in memory, and
    change the disk files only when the user hits save.

    Andrus