Re: release folder structure

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 09:04:16 EDT

    On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > In the OSX dmg I can see several files I don't understand.
    >
    > cayenne-agent.jar

    This was for class enhancement. Since the POJOs are not really working
    in 3.0, we can remove it from the future betas.

    > cayenne-tools.jar

    Ant tasks. We don't want them in the main Jar, because they have lots
    of specific dependencies that we don't want to be attached by Maven to
    the user apps.

    > cayenne-modeler.jar
    >
    > Well, I do understand the last one, but I don't know why it is there
    > since we already ship CayenneModeler.app.

    This is a CayenneModeler "library" used for JNDI hack:

    http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/local-datasources.html

    I hope we can strip the read-JNDI-from-preferences code out of the
    modeler, but this is pending a decision on Modeler preferences format
    in general.

    > Also, why do we have META-INF inside the src directory? Let's get
    > rid of it.

    +1.

    > I'd like to see the 'dotemplates' folder renamed to "entity
    > templates" (hey this is 2009 we are allowed to use spaces) and
    > placed at the top level.

    We are, but we'll probably get punished for it in some unforeseen
    ways :-) We can just call it "templates" going forward.

    > Finally, let's remove the cayenne-3.0B1 folder. So the results would
    > be like this:
    >

    > cayenne.dmg
    > - CayenneModeler.app
    > - lib
    > - cayenne-client-3.0.jar

    I sort of like that I can mount a DMG, then drag the Modeler to
    desktop, and drag cayenne-3.0B1 to the folder where I keep other
    similar libraries. Looks very intuitive to me.

    Andrus