Re: Storing JGraphs and the new project model

From: Andrey Razumovsky (razumovsky.andre..mail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 18:23:02 EST

    Hi Andrus,

    Generally I see the trouble of keeping current graph storing engine. But
    currently I'm very very busy here, so I'wont be able to accomplish that in
    nearest time. So if the issue really blocks you, I suggest complete turning
    off graph saving as quick temporary solution (unless someone wishes to take
    the work, of course). Anyways, I've no objections to saving graph to other
    location

    2010/1/5 Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org>

    > Looks like we'll need to settle on a more permanent solution for storing
    > the graph XML file sooner than I expected. Currently there's work being done
    > on switching the Modeler to the new 3.1 project structure. This task is a
    > blocker for many other 3.1 improvements, so we need to finish the switch
    > ASAP.
    >
    > The switch will introduce the new configuration model with one DataDomain
    > per configuration stack. This means that the current mechanism for storing
    > JGraph XML file, as implemented in org.apache.cayenne.modeler.ModelerProject
    > will no longer work. We can probably make it work with the new API using
    > some other means, but I'd rather we have a clear picture first.
    >
    > I still prefer the solution that I suggested before - store the layout
    > files under ~/.cayenne/, using generated unique names tied via preferences
    > to the filesystem location of a given project. Later we can expand that to
    > allow "Save As / Open" features, etc. to allow users more control, but for
    > now this should be the least invasive option that would allow us to evolve
    > the graph engine in the background without affecting the users' ability to
    > work with Modeler 3.1.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Andrey