Re: Apache retreat in Ireland

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 02:30:42 EST

    Yes, I was at ApacheCon once in 2006 coincidentally also held in
    Dublin. Apache conference format was the same as any big technology
    conference, held in a big hotel, with some open source "celebrity"
    keynote speaker, corporate sponsors (Google, Sun, etc.) having stands
    in the common area. And then a few days of sessions, with each session
    held by the Apache committers talking about their projects (e.g. a
    sample schedule http://us.apachecon.com/c/acus2009/schedule/
    2009/11/04 ). I am not sure what percentage of attendees are
    committers vs. non-Apache developers, but I think it is more than 50%.
    So it is a good albeit fairly expensive way to meet people from
    various projects (I didn't use this opportunity to the full extent in
    2006 as I was still very new to Apache).

    This year there will be still a traditional conference in US in
    November (which I am tentatively going to attend and maybe give a
    Cayenne presentation), but Apache is experimenting with "non-
    conference" formats (e.g. BarCamp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    BarCamp ) - smaller cheaper informal gatherings that focus on more
    face-to-face meeting and doesn't cost a fortune for attendees.

    A retreat in Ireland is one such attempt. I think another announcement
    with more details is coming out soon, as currently the event
    organizers are using the registration on the eventbrite site as a
    questionnaire on people's preferences about the event details (e.g.
    catering vs. cooking, etc.).

    Andrus