Re: [VOTE] release 3.0.1

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 17:12:14 UTC

    Hi Mike,

    There is a periodic discussion at various levels of Apache of how much
    procedure is mandatory. As an ASF member, my firm belief (I think
    shared by most in those discussions) is that release *packaging* is
    within the realm of PMC responsibilities, if all *legal* requirements
    are otherwise met (to me legal requirements are: no code without CLA
    coverage; NOTICE and LICENSE files complete; 3 +1 votes from PMC).

    Case in point is recent iBatis meltdown. The community felt overly
    constrained by the Apache release rules (not the only, but one of the
    main gripes), so they decided to quit the ASF. When the Board and
    members heard of it, there was a collective disbelief ("What release
    rules? Ain't PMC the people who determine the rules?").

    There are often well-intentioned attempts at various places (mainly
    incubator) to formalize this or that process with the goal to provide
    guidance to people, and those unfortunately end up appearing as
    "rules". But ultimately there is nobody but ourselves (the Cayenne
    PMC) to determine what goes in the tar.gz (with the exception of
    license related issues). With this in mind I'll be happy to fix the
    NOTICE file, but the source build file is a non-issue.

    Not trying to dismiss your concerns (and very happy that you actually
    took the time to turn all the rocks looking at the distro), just
    giving my view of things. Also if you think it is worth following up,
    let's find some Foundation-wide avenue (infra? legal-discuss?) and
    move the discussion over there.

    Cheers,
    Andrus