Re: [VOTE] release 3.0.1

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 14:22:06 UTC

    Ari,

    There is a large difference in responsibilities between a PMC member
    and a committer. The job of a PMC member is not to insure that the
    release is bug-free. It's to do all of these things that you say
    drive you crazy, .. and more :) Insure that there are no licensing
    issues. Insure that the release is properly signed. Insure that the
    release is what it says it is (builds, runs). And yes, on top of
    that, build a healthy community to further project development. And
    guide the direction of the project too.

    And while you can have an opinion that the source is a formality,
    according to the ASF, the source is the product, and everything else
    is a convenient add-on.

    I think sometimes we don't do a good enough job explaining what a PMC
    member's responsibilities are before we offer the position to someone.

    All of these automated systems are great, and we should continue to
    automate as much as possible, but they are just tools, and in the end
    we are still responsible to insure that the tools are working as
    expected for every release.

    We choose to release when certain milestones are met, and that's a
    good way to do things, but from the PMC point of view, we can release
    at any moment, even with buggy code, because it's not the functional
    content of what we release, but the legal/procedural packaging of what
    we release, which defines a release.