Re: 3.0.1 - next steps

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 15:36:56 UTC

    Everyone is going to have different preferences.

    Personally, I like to have the src, sometimes the docs, but don't care
    to much for any of the rest of it. And I don't use maven.

    I think if our basic source package contains the "extras", then the
    binary package can just contain the minimal parts needed to make
    Cayenne run. In my opinion, the best package schemes allow you to
    download the binary package, then download the source/docs/examples
    package over the top of it.

    I wonder how practical it might be to also create a dependencies
    package, something that only contains all of the third-party jars
    needed to make things work. That could address some of the concerns
    which were mentioned before. And as a separate package, it wouldn't
    inconvenience those who don't need it.