Re: Connection pooling

From: Andrei Adamchik (aadamchi..obox.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 13:02:10 EDT

It looks like I have some pretty good idea of what needs to be done with
connection pooling.

Basically to allow for connection pooling with *any* versions of JDBC
drivers, also supporting newest advanced features, we need to create the
following things:

1. ConnectionPoolManager class - source of all database connections for
our DataNodes
2. class implementing javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource interface - used
when a corresponding driver (or app server) does not provide one.
3. class implementing javax.sql.PooledConnection interface - used when a
corresponding driver (or app server) does not provide one.
4. class implementing java.sql.Connection interface - used when a
corresponding driver does not support pooled connections. Our
implementation will wrap existing connection object, delegating all the
calls to it, except for "close" method that will be implemented to return
connection to the pool.

In my opinion it covers all of the scenarios - DataSources and
PooledDataSources provided by app server (or by JDBC driver vendors) and
older JDBC drivers with no support for pooling. Basically we will be using
our code for each step (2. - 4.) only if a corresponding environment does
not have its own implementation. Only ConnectionPoolManager class is
always required since none of the Java specs define how pool should be
implemented.

Andrei